
Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!
Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.
Visit Suniway.ph to learn
Alexis Romero - The Philippine Star
April 3, 2025 | 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang has assured the families of Filipinos detained in Qatar over an unauthorized pro-Duterte rally that the government will continue providing assistance, following the release of three minors who participated in the protest.
Citing an update from the Department of Migrant Workers, Presidential Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro said the government has offered to take custody of the minors, although some have been placed under the care of their parents’ friends.
“Our countrymen, even their relatives here in the Philippines, can be assured that the government will not stop helping our fellow Filipinos who are detained in Qatar,” Castro said at a press briefing.
A total of 20 Filipinos were arrested and detained in Qatar for participating in a rally in support of former president Rodrigo Duterte, who was arrested last month for alleged crimes against humanity related to his administration’s war on drugs.
Under Qatari law, individuals who engage in unauthorized protests and demonstrations may face imprisonment of up to three years, a fine of up to 50,000 Qatari riyals (approximately P788,000) or deportation.
Last Monday, the Department of Foreign Affairs reported that Qatari authorities had released three Filipino minors from detention. Sixteen Filipinos remain in police custody.
OVP extends help
Meanwhile, the Office of the Vice President (OVP) has also pledged to assist the detained Filipinos.
Vice President Sara Duterte said her office is coordinating with relevant government agencies to determine the appropriate support for the arrested OFWs.
“I already endorsed it the moment I knew about it. I read it in the brief from the OVP. I already endorsed them to reach out to the correct channels on what we can do to assist,” she told reporters at The Hague yesterday.
Migrant Workers Secretary Hans Cacdac confirmed that the country’s labor attaché and lawyer in Qatar is providing legal assistance to the detained Filipinos.
House assistant majority leader and Tingog party-list Rep. Jude Acidre, on the other hand, urged former presidential spokesman Harry Roque to provide concrete legal assistance to the detained OFWs rather than making public appeals to Qatari authorities.
“While the administration of President Marcos is busy helping our fellow Filipinos who were arrested in Qatar, it might be better if Harry Roque uses his ability as an international lawyer to help our OFWs in Qatar by giving them legal assistance or gathering financial support,” said Acidre, who chairs the House committee on overseas workers affairs.
The lawmaker alleged that Roque played a role in encouraging the detained OFWs to participate in the gathering, making his appeal to Qatari authorities ineffective.
“His appeal to the Qatari authorities is useless. First, he has no legal personality to make the appeal. Second, he is a fugitive for contempt in Congress and he is facing a human trafficking case because of POGO. What he can really do is to give legal aid to the OFWs in Qatar,” he said.
Acidre emphasized that Roque’s expertise in international law could be instrumental in securing the release or ensuring fair treatment of the detained Filipinos.
“He has no official business in the Netherlands. He is not a part of the legal defense team of the former president. So, why doesn’t he just help the government to ensure the security and justice for the OFWs who are jailed in Qatar?” Acidre said.
The Philippine government has deployed embassy officials to coordinate with Qatari authorities and provide legal assistance to the detainees. – Neil Jayson Servallos, Jose Rodel Clapano