
Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!
Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.
Visit Suniway.ph to learn
Alexis Romero - The Philippine Star
April 4, 2025 | 12:00am
Stock photo shows a woman on a laptop showing "fake news."
memyselfaneye / Pixabay
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang yesterday expressed support for the prosecution of fake news peddlers, saying the problem has affected not just the Philippines but the whole world.
In a chance interview, Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin described the impact of fake news as “terrible.”
“Our condition now is very difficult. The effect of fake news is terrible. It’s not only the Philippines, it’s the entire world that is suffering from the brunt of the deceit that is derived from fake news,” Bersamin said.
“It’s terrible. It should be prosecuted,” he added.
Bersamin was asked to react to the recent statement of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) that it would coordinate with the International Criminal Police Organization or Interpol in tracking down Filipinos in other countries who are spreading fake news.
The arrest of former president Rodrigo Duterte last month has fueled a surge of false information on social media with many Filipinos falling victim to fake statements, unverified reports and misleading content.
The NBI previously said it is probing around 20 people who are disseminating false information on various topics and is looking into their funding sources.
The agency also said that it is investigating whether individuals or groups are funding vloggers to disseminate false information online.
The probe comes after the arrest of a fake news vlogger in Cebu, who denied working under anyone’s orders or receiving payment to spread false information.