PHILSTAR FILE PHOTO

THE OFFICE of the Solicitor General (OSG) on Monday said it has withdrawn from representing Philippine government officials in a consolidated petition seeking to declare former President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s arrest as illegal. 

The move was confirmed by Solicitor-General (SolGen) Menardo I. Guevarra and Supreme Court Spokesperson Camille Sue Mae L. Ting.

“As of 1:03 p.m. today, March 17, 2025, the Supreme Court received the OSG’s manifestation of recusal from the consolidated habeas corpus petitions filed by former President Duterte’s children,” Ms. Ting told reporters in a Viber chat.

“The SC also received a motion to drop Solicitor General Menardo Guevarra as party respondent,” she added.

Mr. Duterte’s three children — Paolo, Sebastian and Veronica — asked the high court last week to declare their father’s arrest illegal and sought his release from The Hague. Mr. Duterte was arrested on March 11 through a warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC). He is accused of crimes against humanity and murder following his deadly war on drugs that allegedly killed thousands of Filipinos suspected of illegal drug activities.

The OSG, tasked to represent government officials in lawsuits, noted that in 2018, the Philippine government, under Mr. Duterte, moved to withdraw from the ICC, which took effect a year later.

“In steadfast adherence to this sovereign decision, the OSG has consistently maintained, both in its submissions before the ICC and in its public statements, that the case of the Philippines was not admissible and that the ICC failed to timely exercise its jurisdiction,” the nine-page manifestation read.

“The Philippine Government has no legal obligation to cooperate with the ICC nor recognize any process emanating from the ICC following the effectivity of the country’s withdrawal from the Rome Statute.”

Executive Secretary Lucas P. Bersamin, Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin C. Remulla, Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Police General Rommel D. Marbil, and PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group chief Major General Nicolas D. Torre III were among the respondents of the petitions. — Chloe Mari A. Hufana