Police take down ‘Kidflix’ child abuse platform, Europol says

21 hours ago 7
Suniway Group of Companies Inc.

Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!

Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.

Visit Suniway.ph to learn

Already have Rappler+?
to listen to groundbreaking journalism.

This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.

Police take down ‘Kidflix’ child abuse platform, Europol says

Europol building. The Hague, the Netherlands, is the headquarters of Europol, a European organization, in which national police forces cooperate, similar to Interpol.

OSeveno/wikimedia commons

The EU's law enforcement agency, Europol, arrests 79 suspects for sharing and distributing child sexual abuse material on a platform known as Kidflix. Some of those arrested are suspected of having abused children themselves.

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands – Police shut down one of the largest pedophile networks in the world last month in an operation spanning 35 countries, the EU’s law enforcement agency Europol said on Wednesday, April 2.

Europol said 79 suspects had been arrested for sharing and distributing child sexual abuse material on a platform known as Kidflix. Some of those arrested are suspected of having abused children themselves, it said.

German and Dutch authorities seized the central server of the platform, which contained 72,000 videos at the time.

Europol said a total of around 91,000 unique videos had been uploaded and shared on the hugely profitable platform, which was created in 2021 and attracted 1.8 million users worldwide in the past three years.

“Unlike other known platforms of this kind, Kidflix not only enabled users to download child sexual abuse material but also to stream video files. Users made payments using cryptocurrencies, which were subsequently converted into tokens,” Europol said.

Users could earn tokens by uploading material, verifying titles and descriptions and assigning categories to videos, it added.

Europol said the operation had been the largest ever handled by its experts in fighting child sexual exploitation and one of the biggest cases the agency had supported in recent years.

It said a total of almost 1,400 suspects had been identified, while 39 children were protected through the operation. – Rappler.com

How does this make you feel?

Loading

Read Entire Article