THE NIGHT SERVICE operations of the Metro Rail Transit Line 3 (MRT-3) will be extended by at least an hour, the Transportation department said.

In an advisory on Monday, the Department of Transportation (DoTr) said it has ordered to extend the operations of MRT-3 and the deployment of additional trains during peak hours.

However, the DoTr has yet to announce the implementation date of MRT-3’s operations extension.

Last week, Party-list Rep. Percival V. Cendaña urged the DoTr to extend the operations of MRT-3, Light Rail Transit (LRT), and EDSA bus carousel operation hours to accommodate commuters amid the heavy traffic flow in Metro Manila.

During weekdays, the first train of MRT-3 from North Avenue station operates from 4:36 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.; while the first train from Taft Avenue station operates starting 5:18 a.m. to 10:11 p.m.

Last year, the Transportation department announced plans to bid out the MRT-3 operations and maintenance concession within the first quarter of the year.

The Sobrepeña-led Metro Rail Transit Corp. (MRTC) is set to turn over MRT-3 to the government by July upon the expiration of its build-operate-transfer agreement.

The government previously expressed its intention to privatize MRT-3 before the contract expires this year.

The DoTr said it is carefully evaluating its privatization options for MRT-3, with the Asian Development Bank assisting in assessing whether to pursue a solicited or unsolicited approach for the project. –Ashley Erika O. Jose