
Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!
Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.
Visit Suniway.ph to learn
DALAGUETE, Cebu — A court has issued an arrest warrant for former Cebu City mayor Michael Rama in connection with a nepotism case which allegedly violated the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act.
Rama confirmed the development on April 1, 2025, and posted bail amounting to P270,000.
The case was filed by the Ombudsman over allegations that Rama appointed his relatives to positions in the city government.
Rama, however, questioned why the arrest warrant was issued in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental, and not in Cebu City.
He also expressed confusion, stating that, "typically, a crime committed in Cebu City should lead to the filing of the case there."
Get the latest news
delivered to your inbox
Sign up for The Manila Times newsletters
By signing up with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Rama's legal counsel, former Cebu City administrator Collin Rosell, clarified that while nepotism is usually an administrative matter, it had been reclassified as a violation of Republic Act 1319, the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, in this instance.
He argued that the relatives involved were already employed at City Hall before Rama became mayor, so it would not have been possible for him to take advantage of the situation.
Rosell also said that the rules allow for the issuance of warrants in other judicial regions when the alleged injury is below P1 million, which applied in this case.
The warrant was issued on March 11, 2025, the same day Rama posted bail.
Rosell reassured that Rama's candidacy for mayor remains unaffected, noting that there are no legal precedents from the Commission on Elections (Comelec) that would disqualify him from running over a nepotism case.
Rama was dismissed from office in October 2024 by the Ombudsman for nepotism and grave misconduct and was permanently disqualified from holding government office.
This followed a six-month preventive suspension imposed on him and seven other City Hall officials after complaints were filed by four employees from the City Assessor's Office, who alleged they were reassigned and left unpaid for 10 months.
The Ombudsman found sufficient grounds to suspend the officials on charges of grave misconduct, conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service, and grave abuse of authority.
Despite the ruling, Rama has remained defiant, calling the case a form of political persecution.
He vowed never to surrender, declaring that only death could end his bid for mayor of Cebu City.
Rosell said that while their legal team is exploring options, they are also preparing for the upcoming trials.
He expressed confidence in their ability to challenge the case, stating that they may bring it to the Supreme Court as they believe the evidence in their favor has not been fully considered.