Bacolod goes after illegal structures amid flood threats

7 hours ago 1
Suniway Group of Companies Inc.

Upgrade to High-Speed Internet for only ₱1499/month!

Enjoy up to 100 Mbps fiber broadband, perfect for browsing, streaming, and gaming.

Visit Suniway.ph to learn

BACOLOD CITY — Mayor Greg Gasataya of this city has ordered the immediate stoppage of illegal construction activities along key creeks here in a move to prevent flooding and preserve the integrity of its waterways.

SETTLERS ON CREEKS An aerial view of a creek in Bacolod City, with plenty of shanties installed by informal settlers. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

SETTLERS ON CREEKS An aerial view of a creek in Bacolod City, with plenty of shanties installed by informal settlers. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

The latest enforcement action involved the issuance of a Cease-and-Desist Order (CDO) against a concrete riprap project along Sulom Creek in Barangay Villamonte.

The order was officially served on Nov. 28, 2025, following a detailed inspection conducted earlier.

The inspection, conducted by Gasataya, City Legal Officer Karol Joseph Chiu, and representatives from the City Engineer’s Office and the Bacolod Environment and Natural Resources Office (Benro), uncovered multiple violations, including encroachment on the creek’s easement, improper construction, and failure to secure necessary permits.

“The land where the riprap was built is unstable and could pose serious risks, especially to residents living below the site. We cannot allow any construction that endangers lives or worsens flooding. Immediate action is vital,” Chiu said.

Get the latest news
delivered to your inbox

Sign up for The Manila Times newsletters

By signing up with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

The property owner is required to submit a formal explanation within 72 hours.

Chiu added that the city is also reviewing the validity of the fencing permit issued last May, which was found to have irregularities such as inaccurate data, lack of necessary endorsements, and violations of environmental laws.

He said these issues may lead to the suspension or revocation of the permit.

In addition to the Sulom Creek case, Gasataya announced on Saturday, Nov. 29, that eviction notices were served in October to 27 families residing within flood-prone areas along Mambuloc Creek in Barangay 2.

The city is working closely with the Presidential Commission for the Urban Poor (PCUP) to facilitate the relocation of these residents to safer sites to ensure their safety and dignity.

“We are taking these steps not only to enforce the law but also to protect our people from the dangers of flooding and landslides. Our goal is to create a safer environment for everyone, especially those living in vulnerable areas,” the mayor said.

Barangay Villamonte captain Rommel Flores confirmed that the village had previously coordinated with city officials to inspect the site after residents raised concerns.

Flores said that any modifications to waterways require proper planning and approval to prevent future hazards.

The Office of the Building Official, together with the City Engineer’s Office, Benro, and the City Legal Office, has been tasked with strictly enforcing the CDO.

This includes halting all construction activities immediately and verifying that all encroaching structures are removed, restoring the creek’s natural flow and preventing future environmental damage.

Gasataya reiterated the city’s unwavering commitment to environmental protection and flood mitigation.

“We will continue to prioritize the safety of our residents and the health of our waterways. We will not tolerate illegal constructions that threaten our community and environment,” he said.

EUGENE ADIONG

Read Entire Article